Tuesday, October 16, 2007

50th Birthday Bash




After weeks of deciding what to wear, a few days beforehand, I decided on this peach colored outfit to wear to my class's 50th birthday bash. As I was in the bathroom putting the finishing touches on my my make up, Don was standing in the doorway looking at me. "What?" I asked him. "Are you sure you are 50?" he asked me. So it was worth it all right there.

We dropped Rhett off at mom's, arrived a few minutes after 7 but I really did not see anyone I knew on the porch of the house the bash was being held in so we waited in the truck. A few minutes later a car pulled up behind us. It was my friend Iris and her husband George getting out of their car so we got out and I hollered, "Hey!" to her so we went up the steps together after saying our hellos. Iris looked really good. We said hello to the people on the porch. One guy I did not recognize until he told me his name nor he me until I did the same but we hugged each other. He went on to play pro ball.

Iris and George were standing on one side of the porch and we were on the other. She told me I need to be on her side so I could tell her who everyone was. If I had done that, I would have felt like that person who stands besides the Queen and whispers who is approaching next! Believe it or not there were some folks I did not know. I did see one guy I'd forgotten I'd known since elementary school. I wouldn't have known who he was if I had not read his name tag. He wouldn't have known me if he had not heard me say my name. Have I changed THAT much? Not everyone has my elephant's memory.

Penny's friend Debra was there with her husband Kenny. Debra was not in our class and is younger than us. Later on a free drinks later, she still kept telling everyone she was not 50 and the youngest one there. If I had been around her, I know she would have gotten on my last nerve. They let Kenny lead the prayer for our meal. Maybe because he was the oldest one there.

This one guy who is in the 3rd picture kept saying, I am Cathy's date. Okay. He told me that to my face. Then he told me his name and he was the guy I went to my senior prom with. I screamed his name, grabbed him and hugged him. I told him he looked just like his father now. He and Don seemed to hit it off. Tommy and his sister Cathy were the life of the party and kept us laughing all night.

Cathy is a jv cop. She just got her tazer. In order to carry a tazer, you have to be tazed. Everyone asked her what that was like. She said and I quote, "It lit my ta-ta's up." We all just shock our heads. That is Cathy.

We had steaks that were good but full of gristles. If I had put all the gristles in my napkin, I would have run out of napkins. That was my only embarrassment. But what do you do when you have a gristle?

Iris and I were able to talk about some things. When it got to the point where I couldn't hear what she was saying, I made Don change seats with me. Iris left rather early and I probably felt ackward after they departed. It is better to have somewhat close friends there.

I did have one lady get a little too close for comfort in my face. I was wondering if she was checking for wrinkles! Another said I didn't color my hair. Duh. I told her, " No, that I had seen Walkie recently and decided against it."

It was fun listening to stories about crazy classmates. It was great seeing everyone again. Still not sure if it was worth $50.

No comments: