Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Post for Jan. 19, 2008

Remember how I am always tell you how inspiration can come in any form or fashion? Today it came through the mail. Guidepost sends out a couple of their greeting card in hopes you will buy them. I used to buy them before Rhett came into our lives. They have short, touching stories on the back of the cards. Some of these were repeats. The last quote is one of them which I sent out before. I believe it bears repeating again... This first one was on the back of a card:

"I live in a very beautiful place: Durango, Colorado. I'm grateful that I can look out my windows and see mountains and evergreen trees, clear blue skies, and sometimes even deer and elk. But at times I've wondered why God bothered to make all this beauty - it seems so unnecessary, so extravagant.

But now I have a theory about beauty. I think it's one of the ways God brings healing to our hurt world. In appreciating beautiful things, we experience healing for our brokenness, and by sharing or creating beauty, we can extend that healing to others who are hurting.

Some years ago, in a time of great brokenness and pain in my life, I was staying with friends in their comfortable home. Every morning I woke up early, unable to sleep. And every morning I eould hear a light tap on my door, open it to find a lovely tea tray: a tiny vase of flowers; a brightly colored napkin, a silver spoon and china cup; a pot of tea. While the tea warmed my body, the beauty of the tray helped to bring healing to my soul.

All of us aren't artists and architects, poets and composers, but we still can participate in the creation of beauty. It doesn't take a lot of money, either: a few green sprigs in a glass of water; a word of hope and encouragement; an invitation to a leisurely walk in the park; a lighted candle on a dinner table, tulip bulbs planted in a window box; a plate of muffings hot out of the oven. In a multitude of ways, we can be channels of God's healing, putting a little more beauty into our world and into our lives."
~Mary Jane Clark~

"We watchers play an important role in the lives of other, who need to know that someone is cheering especially for them.
~Gina Bridgemna~

Hope you had a good long weekend especiall if you were off Monday as Rhett and I were. Yeah us! Don and I cleaned out the medicine cabinet. It's hard to believe something that small could hold so much. The garbage was almost filled. Don had the beginnings of a cold and did not hunt today. Are you as shocked as I am? It may be dreary out, but there is color inside my soul waiting to burst out in the form of some art. For now it is taking on the written word sent to you.

No comments: