Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"Ole Baby Blue"

Yesterday I had very creative day as you read for yourself. I was still basking in the glow of "Channeling Poe, writing a poem, uploading photos, creating "roots" that will hopefully grow into something bigger then uploading that photo. Whew! I'm not through... ! I also submitted another idea to zazzle.com I made a pinkish colored button that says:

"Yeah
me!"

as London Tipton of the "Suite Life of Zack & Cody" would say. It was like a pat on the back for ALL the creating I have been doing lately. I will try to post the link, but if I am unsuccessful, just go to zazzle.com and type in " theRAV " in the box. Hopefully it will take you to my work.

Needless to say I did not feel the need to create any more once I got home unless you consider nuking Marie Callendar's lasgne and making garlic toast with the new Shed's Spread garlic butter. The garlic butter was very good.

I had a dream... where I decide to let others read my blog and get paid for it. All the advertisers on the sides of my blogs were good ones. Is it a sign I should do this?

Our cable was off this morning. On the way to work I heard a song "What a Night, December, 1963" by the 4 Seasons which took me back to yesterday. To the summer of 1975. The month of July. I know this because... I'd just gotten a job at JCPenney's. I'd just gotten my 1st car. It was the weekend I'd gotten my baby blue camero. Daddy and I drove up to Lake Houston. Daddy worked for Tom Houston Peanut CO which later became known as Tom's Peanuts which is no more. Lance bought them out last year. The company owned this beautiful lake property where employees could go. We loved it up there and had many family picnics. It was also where I took most of my pictures with my cameras and then my Minolta. There was a pool which was fed by a natural spring so it was freezing cold! Makes me cold just thinking about it. Brr. There was a jukebox you could play for free with a wooden dance floor. The only thing I didn't like about the place was all the bees!

On that day, my friend Katherine T. and her family happened to be staying up at the main cabin where the higher-ups such as president of the company and the vice-presidents could vacation. Whereas I could only walk up all those steps leading to it to view it from the outside, hoping no one was staying there at the time. I could only dream of one day being on the inside, but that dream never came true for me. Katherine had come down to the pool area. I told her about my new car and took her for a s-l-o-w drive around the lake. That song was playing on the radio. A good memory. I should email her about it... Wonder if she still remembers?

Much to my surprise I had an American Idol cup on my desk when arrived at work. I also had a fill-in-the-blanks email copy. The paranoid person in me was asking, "Who has been at my desk?" muchlike Goldilocks in "The Three Bears" asking, "Who's been sleeping in my bed?" Later I found out it was from Bubba Mason. He got it in New Orleans at a University of Georgia game. (YEAH!) The other was from Gil. I thought Gil had given me the cup. Nice surprises. Mystery solved.

My friend Jim had left me a message on my cell phone yesterday. Judy Orr's husband died. If I'd had my cell on, I could have stopped by the funeral home for the visitation. So I sent an email out to all my JCP buds.

Heath Ledger died yesterday. What a loss of someone so young, handsome and promising.

On a happier note, I was inspired again by Janet's paper dolls she made at Lavendar Loft. That is something I never would have thought of to create. It brought back some fond memories of my childhood. I remember having Haley Mills' paper dolls from a Disney movie she made where they played croquette. I can't remember the name of the movie now, but I do remember those paper dolls. There was one gorgeous blue ruffled layered gown I really liked because of the color of the blue. I wonder if Mom still has them? They probably have yellowed by now. The blue may be green! LOL So thanks for that memory, Janet. Today was several trips down Memory Lane for me. What did you remember today?

Quote of the Day:




Measure your wealth by the things you have that no one could buy at any price.
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-

Go to http://dreamergirl.typepad.com/dreamer_girl/2008/01/smile.html to read her poem entitled "Smile". After having worked in retail for 16 years, I could relate to it. Plus it is a cute poem that will make you smile. I will share it with my JCP buds.

Then I went to e-muse again. http://www.poetryexpress.org/emuse/emuse.html
and wrote another poem.

"Ole Baby Blue"

Today I heard an old song on the radio
I remembered...
where I was
who I was with
when I heard it.

I was in my 1975 baby blue camero
driving ever so slowly
for fear of wreaking.
There were clear blue skies over the lake house.
My friend Katherine arrived down from it,
walking to the icy cement pool of cold spring water.
I was remembering about
how happy we were to be driving teenagers,
but the golden part
was the car
driving ever so slowly
around those curves
surrounding the lake
where the fish awaited.

The light baby blue car faded
It was wrecked many times
but I survived.
Later it was painted IROC blue.
Looking good!
It made many trips to Orlando
to love
until love had no more time for me.
The car lasted longer than most of my relationships.
It lasted until after I was married.
I can't remember the year we traded it in
for a T-bird.
The car was on its almost last journey.
We drove it to a dealership out-of-town.
It was smoking!
We diverted the salesman away
to the other side of the lot.
No sale that day.
I prayed we'd make it home
and we did.
I miss ole blue sometimes.
~theRAV~

Then I discovered another blog by Karen Beth. Go to: http://zazazu.wordpress.com/2008/01/05/southern-bell/
I love the collage she made on this particular post, the woman in it with all the amazing colors that work so well. But being a true southern belle myself, I love the fact that she put "Ya'll spoken here." Sort of like I did with my fall postcard swap by putting, "Happy Fall, Ya'll!"

I just began reading The Accidental Vampire by Lynsay Sands. I had a good tuna sandwich for lunch today. May get another one tomorrow.

Because I wore a teal turtleneck, because I wrote about my baby blue camaro, I feel those colors calling to me..., but they will have to wait til tonight. What colors are calling your name?

Finally caught up with myself again. Need to check to see if the cable is working. If not, I will probably have to trade the box in which means I will have to take time off work.

2 comments:

Marty C said...

I Googled “Lake Houston” and found your blog. Wasn’t that a great place? I always wondered what happened to it. Figured it would turn out to be a housing development some day.

Anyway, my dad was in charge of the Lake Houston complex in the early 50’s. He supervised the building of the lower lakes. On the weekends he would call square dances. They were held on the pavilion by the pool. Most likely, the wooden floor you describe. I learned to swim in that big spring fed pool. Dad left that job in 1953 and we moved to California. We’ve never found another place quite like it.

I still have a couple of old 45’s from that jukebox you mention; Country-western hits from 1950.

Marty Crimmins

becky aka theRAV said...

Wow! I can't believe someone out in blog land could google and actually knows the place I was writing about on this post! It was one of my favorite places to go to as a teeneager. I still go there often in my mind... To think someone was there before I was born and can describe it, is strange, but exciting to read their history of the lake. Thanks, Marty for sharing this with me. I'll ask my dad if he knew your father since he began working there when he was 16 or 18.
Becky