Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Q is for...

 
Posted by Picasa


Well, I was quite in a quandary over the letter Q, the 17th letter of the alphabet, but I already had one so I quit worrying about it. Mine was an easy, but obvious choice of Quaker oats which made me think of Quaker motor oil. I wondered how many of you had either one of these. Were you on your p's & q's?

But I continued to think of more q's... I have always like the name of Quentin since the days of "Dark Shadows. I used to work with a lady name Quintilla but we called her Quin. We have a good friend who's last name is Quinn.

Of course an obvious choice would be the title of my blog Quoth the Rav. Or I could have quoted Poe's poem "Quoth the Raven, Nevermore". Instead I came up with my own sort of similar version aquired by today's events at work. I dedicate this poem to Josie because of her Black Widow Spider lady on her blog. http://passingtime-josie.blogspot.com/

"Ode to the Black Widow Spider"

As blue gray skies hung over the lion's den
The RAV arrives, hearing her name harshly spoken
and negatively intoned.
It was only the loud part heard
as "Illy Nilly" aka the Black Widow Spider was in her web
on the black phone complaining.
Then silence as the RAV stood as still as a white marble statue
too scared to move
waiting for the Black Widow Spider to crawl out of her weave
to verbally attack yet again.
The RAV stood there shaking, waiting...
for the inevitable that did not come this time.

But the black phone conversation was over
It was all cleared up
It was not as the Black Widow Spider made it sound.
It was cleared up into blue gray beginnings
hoping the Black Widow Spider will be nevermore.
~theRAV~

I know I won't be the Queen of the q's today because I don't have that large a quantity of them, but I do have quality. I won't quibble about who has the most q's but I will admit I am quick-witted and quick-tempered. And I don't like quiche! I do love patchwork quilts. I love collaging them since I don't know how to make them. Well, I guess I have reached my quota of q's. I'll quit now, but I will leave you with these quotes of the day....

Quotes of the day:

Cheerfulness greases the axles of the world. -unknown-

Never ask friends to do for you what you wouldn't do for them.
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-

History is the short trudge from Adam to atom.
-Leonard Louis Levinson-

There must be more to life than having everything.
-Maurice Sendak-
(But I would like to find out!)

If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti-

Choose the life that is most useful, and habit will make it the most agreeable.
-Sir Francis Bacon-

Everything I understand, I understand only because I love.-Leo Tolstoy-

If there is anything a noncomformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't comform to the prevailing standard of conformity.
-Bill Vaughan-

There's no correlation between creativity and equipment ownership. None. Zilch. Nada. Actually, as an artist gets more into his thing, and he gets more successful, his number of tools tends to go down. He knows what works for him. Expending mental energy on stuff wastes time.
-Hugh Macleod-

If I am going to concentrate on what's important in life. I'm going to strive everyday to be a kind and generous and loving person. I am going to keep death right here, so that anytime I even think about getting angry at you or anybody, I'll see death and remember.
-Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, "Northern Exposure", Do the Right Thing, 1992

And I loved the whole idea behind the story, which is that you're beautiful, so don't let other people tell you that you're not just because you don't look like the people in magazines. Or because you're not that ideal body image that's out there right now.
-Mike Myers, talking about "Shrek"

If you would like to participate in ABC Wednesday Q if for... please go to the following...
http://quoththerav3.blogspot.com/

Be sure to go back and look at the cards I created.

5 comments:

Katney said...

I just wondered why you had so many oatmeal boxes to photograph...

Jo said...

I love the ode to the Black Widow Spider.

Omigosh!

Ours was away from work today.

Yay!!!

She has been just vicious lately.

mrsnesbitt said...

As ever, your post is so full of entertainment!

becky aka theRAV said...

Well, Katney I took the photo of the Quaker oats boxes in the grocery store. Josie, I am glad you liked my ode to BWS. I sort of figured you would. Thanks, Mrs. Nesbitt.

Dragonstar said...

You always have such a full post. Well done!