Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Graddy Book

3/31/07 We took Rhett fishing late in the afternoon at Elisa's. This was another one of those times I acted like the spoiled child by asking, "Do I have to go too?" Don said it would be nice. I thought it was going to be a male bonding type of thing, but instead it was a family affair. Only caught one fish which we threw back. This time I found it frustrating instead of calming like before. Maybe if I'd caught a fish, I might have gotten excited about it. The fishing pole just wouldn't cooperate and work right to catch a fish. Maybe it was the fisherwoman. LOL When the skeeters started biting instead of the fish, I knew it was time to go so I started packing up, carrying lawn chairs back to the truck. I jokingly asked Don if this meant we were going to Capt. D's for fish for supper. He just laughed as always.

Don & Rhett took showers. We were planning on going to El Vaquero to eat. Mom had left a message on the answering machine and a more explicit one on my cell phone. She wasn't home so I called my aunts to see if they knew where she was or if she was per chance with them. Aunt Betty said my folks were probably on their way over to my house with the Graddy book.

I saw their headlights and met them at the door. I looked through the book which is more like a bound booklet similar to ones I made for my book of quotations. I didn't consider it a real book because it was not leather bound. Does that mean my books were not real either? I realized I was judging a book by it's cover again. It was interesting and exciting because there was a picture of my grandfather in it. I recognized names of relatives I heard mention of as a child. Some I'd even met. All dead now. So sad.

I was hurriedly copying down facts because my folks had to take the book back home so Uncle Frank could return it to Uncle Butch in Georgetown tomorrow. So we didn't leave the house until after 9 pm to go eat.

No comments: