Friday, July 18, 2008

Opelika, Alabama Skies

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


Last Saturday Don wanted to go to Opelika and Valley, Alabama better known as "The Valley". We stopped in Opelika to look in a phone book at this Liberty gas station. Did you know it is relatively hard to find a phone book hanging from a pay phone these days? I noticed the birds on the sign so naturally I had to take their photo. I called them "The Liberty Birds" and of course Don just laughed at me as always. Notice the beautiful blue sky.

Once we'd sought what we were looking for in Opelika, Don wanted to head to Lanett or the Valley. He showed me where Georgia is on one side of the road and Lanett, Alabama is on the other with no river in between. Sort of like Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas. He was looking for a place to eat he'd eaten at before when his old job took him out of the shop to weld especialy at Piggly Wiggly stores. The 1st place was closed. Then we found David's which was a barbecue place in the 2nd photo. I thought it was a neat place. They had old car tags surrounding the front bar complete with bar stools. That was where Rhett wanted to sit, but we wanted to sit in a booth, old fuddy duddies that we have become. I kill Don because here we are at a barbecue place and I order a hamburger. I do this because I may not like their style of cooking the barbecue. I sampled some of Don's. It was ok. Not the best I have ever had, but I was content with my burger. I kept getting the barbecue sauce mixed up with the ketchup until I moved it over to Don's side of the table and kept the ketchup near me. I purposely tried to get sky in the background.

We stopped at a few other places. One was a coin place where I took the 3rd photo. They had Alabama and Auburn Coke and Pepsi bottles on the window' shelf with the cola still in the unopened bottles. Of course I was taking the picture towards a window so it is rather dark, but you can see sort of see it as well as sky in the background as well as where a bird blessed the window.

If you would like to participate in Sky Watch Friday, please go to the following new Sky Watch site....
http://skyley.blogspot.com/

21 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

What a cheerful sign, Becky. I love the views.

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks, Sandy.

Craver Vii said...

Those are American birds for sure! How do I know?... They're attracted to Liberty!

dot said...

Becky, I don't think I've ever got off the interstate to go to Opelika. Maybe I should. I love the red, white, and blue sign in the pretty blue sky!

Markus Latva-aho said...

Just surfed in to say hello! Nice pics you have, keep watching the sky:)

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. Makes me miss home. From Huntsville.

mrsnesbitt said...

Becky, as usual...awesome. LOVE your eye for detail.

Please could you e-mail me your e-mail address.

denisedotnesbittatbtinternetdotcom

thanks, think you will enjoy what I say!

Jane O' said...

Alabama isn't afraid to say it. Nice sign, nice shot.

Carletta said...

Great captures Becky!
It really sounds like you had a great time. I'm with you about finding a phone book - it's almost a thing of the past.

Thanks for visiting me today.
Hope your weekend is off to a great start.

Andrea said...

I have been through Opelika. Nice town. Great Sky Watch shot.

dianasfaria.com said...

I like the birds hanging out!

Catherine said...

That is a beautiful blue sky!
Great sky~watch capture! I like the third shot too!
Enjoyed your Alabama skies!
Happy sky~watching!
Cat

Tom said...

Where a bird blessed the window.. thats sound a good title for a book or film... a charming saying... great post again from you guys.. hope alls well in your world..


On behalf of the Sky Watch team I thank you for posting this week, I hope you get many callers here and that you get the time to visit a few others.
Tom

imac said...

Great photos
I love a BBQ.

The Team thanks you for posting at SW and helping to make this new venture a success.

Rune Eide said...

Cosy post, but if you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism - crop the first picture so that you have only the sign with the birds on the top (and a bit of the sky, of course), or concentrate on the birds on the telephone line.

I hope I didn't intrude!

Unknown said...

Great captures for sky watch!
Have a nice weekend.

becky aka theRAV said...

Funny Carver! Thanks, Dot. Hello to you too System Operator. I will be visiting you soon... Thanks, Tommy V. Sorry I made you home sick but thanks for stopping by & commenting. Yes, Denise, I'll email my email address. Thanks Jan Marie. Thanks Carletta for your comments & visiting me too. Thank you Andrea. Good to know you have been thru Opelika. I like the birds just hanging out too Lily Hydrangea.Thanks Catherine. Well, Tom... Don long bed trailer got stolen this week so he is not a happy camper, but thanks for asking. Thanks Imac. We are real barbecue folks too. Funny you should mention cropping Runee because I did crop it some already. No, you did not offend. I thought it was neat I got 2 sets of birds but I will try it. Thanks.

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks, John.

Catherine said...

Becky, I'm late for commenting, sorry,.
I don't regret to come and see your Sky from Alabama. Your first picture is excellent. Love the colors.
And sorry too, about your misadventure with thieves! It's not mr I can swear ! ; )
Have, still, a great sunday.

david mcmahon said...

Hi Becky - in answer to your question on my blog, I'd say there's nothing wrong with the Liberty shot.

It's a great message and an unusual view, especially with the second row of birds on the wire.

Red, white and blue - and many statutes of Liberty!

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks Catherine and especially David. David saw what I saw in the "Liberty Bird" photo.