Monday, August 20, 2007

Stepped Outside My Box

On Saturday, I found an old quilt catalog from years ago which I cut more scraps of paper patterns out of as if I don't have enough already. I had a whole lot of P shaped pieces so I attempted to make a postcard in blue, but it didn't work out. I started with 5 pieces of different shades of brown, tans, oranges, rusts, etc. on a 3x5 card. I had to add a few more smaller pieces to fill in, but it's finished now. I didn't time myself on it. Although that doesn't really matter. I am amaxed and proud of the results. I may even like this one the best so far.

It doesn't look like something I would do. Maybe that is a good thing. Because of the design, there is a lot of movement which has your eye constantly roving around which I know is good in art. Rhett even helped me with apart of it. He made one part flow like an S or a snake.

I showed this one to Don and asked him how did he like it since he didn't comment on the abstract one. So I had to explain the abstract to him, but he had the tv on the hunting channel so...

All I have to do is sign it "THE RAV" which is who I am now and I am done with another postcard for my postcard swap.

Today was about doing something different; something uplanned. It was about taking a few colors and running with them. It was about stepping outside my box; outside my comfort zone of colors. It was about taking a risk that worked.

What did you do today that was different; that was unplanned? What did you do to step outside your box; your comfort zone?

Becky
aka THE RAV

No comments: