Friday, April 18, 2008

My Favorite Road

 


I was going to do cloud pictures for today's Sky Watch post, but as I went back through my ever increasing photos, I knew I wanted to use this one... This is my favorite road to travel down first thing in the morning as when this shot was taken earlier this week. I love the way the sunlight is filtering through the trees. I inched down the road taking several snapshots until I got this one. THE one. Don't ya love it when that happens? It is so soothing to me. It makes me just want to go "Ah" and sigh as I slowly ride through this shadey grove/tunnel. If I travel back up it in the afternoons, the sun doesn't shine through the trees like it does here. It provides a really nice shade on a hot day, making me want to park, sit and cool off.

A note of interest: the lot to the left is now vacant and has a historic marker at the end of the stop sign. I am not sure what the marker states, but that was not what always held my interest. You may not know this, but the movie the "Green Berets" was filmed in Columbus and Ft. Benning, GA. There once was a house on this lot that was used in one of the scenes where they are going to capture the Viet Kong General or whatever his rank was in the movie. I always thought that was so cool. And to think I passed by it all the time. You could not see the house from the road because it was hidden by all the trees just as in the film. My best friend Penny had actually been inside the house because she knew the son of the owners who were members of the local symphany. She said the house was more like a museum. Everything was labeled. It stated if it was a gift from someone and the date given. But alas, many, many years ago the house caught on fire. All those labeled gifts going up in flame. So, so sad. Now it is just a woodeded lot. You used to could see an out house or what may have been the slaves quarters about where you look to the left. I can't remember seeing that when I pass by now. I don't know if it burned also or maybe they cleared it without disrupting the foliage.

Where is your favorite road?

Happy Sky Watch Friday. Hope you all have a great weekend. if you would like to partipate in Sky Watch Friday please go to the following:
http://womtig.blogspot.com/
After seeing Tom's lovely clouds with a face, I am glad I went with this one now.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Craver Vii said...

Yes, that's a great feeling to scroll through the photos and suddenly find THE one! I'm not sure if I have a favorite road; I'll have to think on that for a bit.

Pernille said...

Very nice road. I can understan why it is your favorite:)

Tom said...

You show a very nice picture, and one the realy matters to you.. thanks for sharing.. as for my favourite road.... well I think it's the one I walk down now... many years ago I walked a different road and that is now my least favourite..
Tom

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite sure about having a favourite road, but I guess you did well by posting this photo.

A closer look let's us see some sky and with some imagination I can always bet that after those trees there will be much more sky to be seen.

So, nicely done.

Snap Catch said...

quite amazing road! you have captured it well... mine's up too hope you can drop by.

Daniel J Santos said...

great image, well done.

Carletta said...

"Going down that long lonesome highway..."
I couldn't resist - sorry :)

Wonderful picture - I too like the sun filtering through.

FO - 2 said...

Thanks for sharing. :)
I know how the feeling is when you`ve captured THE photo! :)

My favourite road goes from our house. It looks like an old highway, with gravel and grass/moss in the middle.
The road that bring me out and about and home again! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Luiz Santilli Jr said...

Some time the SKY is on our mind!!

In this week I haven't a good shot to post!

Luiz

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks to all of your for your wonderful comments. So glad you liked my choice this week. I will personally reply to ea of you soon if I have not already.