Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Saturday's Adventure

2/3/07 We ALL slept in for the 1st Saturday in months. Don wanted the 3 of us to go to the hunting land to get his climbers to bring home now that hunting season is FINALLY over. He didn't want to go by himself. Aw. He gave me a pair of his long john pants to wear since it was 30 degrees outside which I was complaining about. I had to find a big, old pair of jeans to wear ontop of them. Its nice to know I am not that big anymore. I wore a red wool sweater and my hooded jacket trimmed with fur (which will come up later...) I wasn't trying to win a fashion contest out in the wild by any means.

We got gas and something to eat on the way to the woods. McDonalds for Rhett who can't stomach Krystals which was what we were going to eat. The "sliders" didn't sit well with me as we bounced down the road.

I'd told Don I wanted him to park the truck at my favorite spot in the woods where the trees look like a magical forest. The trees are perfectly lined up and seem to go on forever. I'd seen it once before in a King Arthur movie where people where hiding behind trees. Remember the name of the movie. It may be "Merlin". Its where you feel as if you could be transported back to another time... or expect to see a knight come riding out of it on a steed.

I told Don I was taking several cameras to photograph odd looking trees, a note book to write the Great American Novel which would be best seller and we'd be rich. He just laughed at me as he always does. And didn't write a thing! Not one word in my new pink notebook.

I studied trees on the way there. It's a wonder I didn't have whiplash from turning my head and neck around so much. It reminded me of the day Genie & I went to Auburn University for her to register and I boy watched til my eyes should have bugged out. Genie just shook her head at me and laughed. It was a good day much like this one.

Don didn't follow my direct order. Instead he drove to a different area when you first enter the gate to the hunting land. It had a grove of trees planted similar to my favorite spot. Even Rhett noticed the similarity. He gets that from me.

Rhett had my Minolta around his neck. He wanted to take a picture of a twig hoping to become a tree someday. I know my scrapbooking friends like Marie Cope would say "Let him take it." I asked him to wait until he found a better tree. He took one of moss grown on the ground instead. Even I didn't take that many pictures as I had envisioned.

We all rode the 4 wheeler to get one of Don's stands. I had to put my hood on for that. Rhett kept complaining and spitting because he was sitting behind me & when I put the hood on, he said the fur got in his mouth. It had rained hard last week so there were flooded spots we had to wade through. I asked if this was "the swampland" they often talked about. I wore my oldest black Reeboks that have permanent mud stains from all the craft shows I have been to at the Cotton Pickin' Fair in Gay, GA. Don told me I should have worn boots. Like I am going wear my good boots and mess them up! My Reeboks were just fine. I had the Minolta around my neck which was heavy, choking me & ackward between Don's back and myself.

We ended our woodsy journey at the campsite. I collected empty cans the other guys left behind being the recyclists that we are. I walked over to where I'd seen a tree that looked like a hand with 3 fingers. It was not there! Where did it go? Where it's only digits knocked off somehow? I was so glad I'd taken a picture of it before. It used to scare Rhett when he was smaller. I guess because he thought it was a real hand. Don bellowed for us to go. Rhett was writing in the white sand at the campsite. He didn't come right away. I kept walking. I finally called behind me that Ron, one of the other hunters we passed, could bring him home when he came back through. Then I heard footsteps running behind me. I'm good.

We headed home to change clothes, to get the directions to for the free dishwasher in Pine Mountain. We'd found out from Ron that Meade sold the hunting land to someone else. Don may be able to hunt for another year at least. Then who knows? It is sad in a way. I know I complain about him hunting, how I am a "hunting widow" and I resent it alot. Yet I like the place and enjoyed the times we've spent there - few that they have been. We can always find another place. Who knows? It might even be a better place than this one minus my favorite spot of course. This land hasn't been good to Don hunting wise for the past 3 years. It has not filled our freezer with meat. I have felt like it has been a waste of his time and money.

Then we headed up to Pine Mt. I remembered Maria, the lady we were getting the dishwasher from, from when I first worked at the Gov't Center. Her husband was one of the Santas at the mall, but not the one Rhett saw. He looked like a Santa with his white beard and overalls. The dishwasher was working when last used back in June and has been outside in the elements since then. Sure hope it works.

Don did wash dishes on Friday when he was off for which I am grateful. So I made my taco bake per his request.

2/4/07 After church we went to Ci Ci's pizza, to Fred's Discount Store for Pepsi and to mom's but they were not home. I was feeling yucky. Guess I am getting old and can't eat things like I used to do. Or else it was the vibrations of the monster truck. Laid down til time to go back to the evening service.

The Indiana Colts were playing in the Superbowl so we had to watch it since Don is from Indiana! I'd bought a heart hole puncher at Fred's. I punched out hearts from a cloth retail catalog until I was literally exhausted but I found a surge of enough energy to glue some of them onto a small card I'd begun last year. It may be this year's Valentine's cards. I'll just make color copies of it.

I am grateful... for another great weekend we had.

2/5/07 Monday was a Monday and a half for me. One girl out sick. Supervisor left early for a friend of her husband's funeral. I had over time to put in the system. The transfer list came in. I had inmate going and coming. I didn't know which way I was going. Still had money orders to key punch. The warden kept interupting me when I wasn't balancing. I was near the end of my perverbial rope at that point. I had to finally had to tell him I was sorry I wasn't trying to be rude but I wasn't balancing and it was almost 5. He got a bit nicer after that. I still worked 20 mins over photocopying the money orders which I probably won't get comp time for now. Then went to the bank to make the deposit. The bank is inside Publix. I needed milk anyway so it was not out of my way.

Publix prepare sample meals hoping you will purchase the ingredients. They were serving couscous which I'd heard of but never eaten. It was good. Not that much different from rice. So I tried something new today. Also bought the new Sherrilyn Kenyon novel The Dream-Hunter. It has a gorgeous man with blue eyes on the front cover.

What new thing did you try today?

No comments: