Thursday, February 22, 2007

Claire

Feb. 18, 2007 I had one of my sinus headaches today. Took something for the sinus part because I had no Alleve. Made Don stop after church on the way to lunch so I could finally get some of it. For once Rhett wanted to go eat Chinese, but that was because they had Chinese New Year at his school on Friday. The news was there at his school, but we didn't see Rhett on tv.

At the Chinese place near our house, I saw Claire, the red-haired girl I went to elementary school with who I hated more than anything. We just could not get along at all on anything. She'd tell on me for EVERYTHING I did; "every little fizzle" as my mom would say. I dropped a gum wrapper on the playground which I picked up. She still told the teacher on me and I had to pick up trash on the entire playground the remainder of recess. The good thing was ALL my friends walked with me and helped me pick it up. I seem to remember she would tell, "Here's some trash over here..." I had a huge movement of folks all moving in the same direction which was neat. That day I'd worn a pair of cream colored gloves because it was cold outside. I remember how dirty they were, but I knew my mom would wash them. My friend Genie would be saying, "How do you remember all that?" as she read this.

I'd seen Claire when I worked as a receptionist at Gayfer's Hair Salon. Once I saw her after all those years, I couldn't believe I'd held all that hate and bitterness inside. I realized it was such a waste of my time and energy. It was nice to finally let it all go. Why did I even bother with it? Lesson Learned: Do NOT hate.

Claire passed by me twice, but did not recognize me. Rhett seemed really interested in my school tales. On her 3rd trip by me, she stopped and asked if I was Becky. Who else would I be? Of course my mouth was full at that moment. She did remember me. She asked how long it had been. I told her it was longer than 13 years since I worked at Gayfer's where I saw her last. She must have been thinking longer like back to elementary school.

She asked if I ever saw her friend Gail. I told her I'd seen her a couple of times, but she didn't recognize me. Really I think she did, but just didn't want to admit it or acknowledge me. I'd seen her before when I worked in Adult Probation and she had to change her address to receive her child support payments. I still made her show her id even though I knew exactly who she was.

Gail had one of THE cutest boyfriends. He went to another high school. Gail was one of the smartest people that attended our elementary school but I am not sure about high school. My friend Iris probably had her beat. Gail was rather plain jane looking so we couldn't believe she landed such a cute fella. Yes, we were petty back then. Just plain catty now.

Claire said she went to Ann Mott's father's funeral. She saw Ann who I haven't seen in years, not since Jr. High. When we went to Jr. high, all of a sudden Ann was very popular. I'd know her all those years and couldn't see what had happened to make her more popular than Genie or myself. Claire was hoping to see Gail at the funeral but did not see here there. I didn't tell her if she went to Subway neat where I work, she might run into her sometime.

Gail looks like she is mad at the world now. And folks say I don't smile. Which I guess if I lost a good-looking husband, I might not be a happy camper either. Of course I don't know all of their circumstances nor do I care to know.

I did go back to Claire's table to tell her about Emma Jean & David Whittington dying a year ago or has it been longer? Don couldn't believe I went back there after telling him how much I hated her, but as I said I'd put that hate away. I met her husband Richard who seemed nice. He told me she'd commented on my "smooth skin" which shocked me. So maybe I don't look my age. Of course sitting next to her, I did notice her wrinkles especially around the eyes but she didn't look that old.

At home I fell asleep on the couch. Don woke me up so I went on to bed. The guys didn't care how much noise they made when someone is trying to sleep. I, on the other hand, try to make as little noise as possible when they are sleeping. I slept through the evening service. Don told me I should have been there...

Talked to mom later after I go up. My Uncle R. F. would like a book about my Grandfather Graddy's side of the family. He said he had one but he let my cousin Florence in Montgomery, who is named after my Grandmother, borrow it. Now she knows nothing about it. So I emailed Mike E to email his friend Ann, whom we met at this Christmas party. She is really into geneology. She had sent us some stuff on Don's family. I also checked on the internet, but wasn't having much luck. I found very little except the Irish pronunciation of Graddy. The Irish pronounce it as "Grady." I got my grandmother's Windham side confused with the Graddy's. Then it was time for "Desperate Housewives".

No comments: