Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What Are the Odds?

5/30/08
Today another one of my favorite uncles has a tumor in his brain
This morning while trimming my bangs,
They were cutting into his brain,
While I was cutting my pills in half,
They were slicing into his skull.
While I plucked my eyebrows,
They were pulling out pieces of him.
Perhaps a memory
of a memorable or funny family event
One I can recall
whereas he may not.
I went about innate tasks
Asking God
"Please don't let him die!"
like a repetitive chant.
Maybe it is selfish on my part
wanting him amongst us for awhile longer.

Yet what are the odds?
Of having two favorite uncles to have cancer of the brain?
It is really strange.

What were the odds?
That I had a cousin who got hit by a drunk driver
and survive?
Then years later be struck by another one again
Only he did not live through that fated New Year's.
I was pregnant with my baby at that time.
Oh, how I cried
remembering our times.
I fell into my Aunt Bea's arms
I was told I had to get hold of myself for my baby's sake.
I recovered for a moment
Until I saw my friend David
Then I lost it again.

It is just so hard right now
As our hearts have not healed
We are still reeling
from Uncle Bert's unexpected death.
We are not ready to go through this again so soon,
But we don't have a choice, do we?
All we can do is pray
for the best outcome.
Then enjoy the remainder of his life.
~Becky Bristow Voyles~

What would you do if you only had one year to live?

No comments: