Monday, January 22, 2007

My Gratitude Journal

Jan. 21, 2007
I re-found a wire bound Gratitude journal today that came from Madge, my mom's ex neighbor who left behind so much stuff when she moved to San Luis Obispo, CA. I decided to use it to write down what I am thankful for each day. So here is another journal on another blog to keep up with. I began it this weekend...

I am grateful for... the free movie tickets my mom gave Rhett & myself. We went to see "Happy Feet" yesterday, Sat. 1/20/07. When we walked in the lobby of Hollywood Connection where the theatre is located, I saw our old neighbor Pat White Carter Leamon. I'd seen her at Subway just recently. She took one look at Rhett and said he looked just like me. I get that alot.

I suddenly became self conscious of my appearance in her presence because she always looks so good and was dressed better than me. I was dressed down in a flannel shirt and worn out jeans too shabby to wear to work. Was I worn out? Was I being "shabby shiek"? No, I just wanted to be comfortable and if butter got on my jeans then so what? No biggie.

Pat's youngest daughter Chaundi was there with her two daughters, Skylar (8) and Bobbie Jean. Skylar is Rhett's age, but a whole head taller than him. It was Bobbie Jean who was asking what his name was. Pat couldn't say it correctly. Little girls taking an interest in my son... hmmm. I'm sort of getting used to it after Penny's girls were here and her Grace had a crush on Rhett after just a few hours. Chaundi got Rhett's name right because she told Pat "like Rhett Butler" which is usually my line.

Chaundi told Rhett she went to the same elementary school he goes to now. She loved Ridgecrest and told him about her kindergarten teacher. She remembered her smelling so good. Funny the things we recall when we were younger... Rhett knew which teacher she was referring. She also said her mom fixed her hair like Princess Leia's in "Star Wars" and all the kids made fun of her. I reminded Chaundi that Pat used to have an "I dream of Jeanie" wig which she remembered her mom wearing.

Chaundi only remembered me from working at the front desk at Gayfer's Hair Salon not from when she was a little girl, wanting to come home with my mom and cried because she couldn't. It was so good to see them. I am grateful for... seeing old friends.

Today at Capt D's, we saw my cousin Ben and his son Matt. There was another boy with them that had reddish hair and sideburns so I thought it was Ben's oldest son Zach. I was about to hug him when he turned and I realized it was NOT Zach! I am grateful for... seeing my family when I am lucky enough to see them like to day.

We went to a housewarming party for a friend and fellow church member, Angie. Last night I put magnets on the back of two sayings I'd laminated awhile ago that said:
"May your house be too small for all your friends." The other said: "God bless our house." I did not wrap them. Just handed them to her. I could tell she liked them immediately and went to put them on the fridge. Mine were perhaps the smallest gift she received today, but size doesn't matter. It did not make me feel bad or inferior. It sort of reminded me of "The Little Drummer Boy" song for some reason. You are singing the song now, aren't you?

Today I am grateful for... my church family. I am so glad we were there today for Angie.

Because of all the things that are going on in other people's lives, like divorces and sudden remarriages, I am grateful for... my marriage. I know the Vaughans are grateful for their's too because they were celebrating their 41st anniversary today! Happy Anniversary!

I am grateful our friends in Oklahoma who are okay since they have endured bad winter weather recently. I'm also grateful for our friends in Kansas are fine despite inches of snow.



Jan. 22, 2007
Today I let death pile up... so to speak. I write a "happenings" column for the entire government center's newspaper. I had 4 or 5 deaths pile up on my desk & I thought I'd lost one so I knew it was time to get them organized to enter them for the "Grapevine Tidbits". I am known as the "Grapevine Lady."

I thought I'd lost my Word Perfect and panicked. I actually asked for help today. Shock - I know. I asked one lady, but my supervisor stuck her nose in to fix it. I probably could have figured it out - eventually. Let's just say I have Word Perfect back now and leave it at that. After all it is MY business if I have what I need daily saved on my desktop and not in another part of the computer that I would have to constantly search for it. So today I am grateful... that have Word Perfect back again, for my computer at work and at home, and what little knowledge I have about computers.

Today I am grateful for... friends who help me when I need help.

I am bound and determined to be grateful and stop complaining about everything so much no matter what comes my way. I am determined to be grateful even when I am roiling from my "help".

What are you grateful for today?

My quote of the day came from my friend Abby's blog:

Beauty has nothing to do with possession.
If possession and beauty must go together,
then we are lost souls.
A beautiful flower is not to be possessed,
it's there to be beheld...
It's there for your pleasure.
~Diana Vreelan~

Oh, my gosh! Susannah of Ink on My fingers responded to my blog again! My day has been made! I can't wait to tell my husband about it! It doesn't take much for me. Today I am grateful... for my blogging friends.

No comments: