Friday, January 19, 2007

G. R. I. T. S.

I have been praying to my Muse a lot lately since reading Ink on my Fingers blog, but today I found my inspiration on my way to work... I was behind a car that I'd seen before because it has a vanity tag with "ANOINT" on it. Then I saw on the back windshield of another car these words in big, white letters:

G. R. I. T. S.
(Girls Raised in the South)

I love it! Its one of my favorites. I have a tan colored baseball cap with that saying on it. When Rhett was a baby I found him a bib in Warms Springs, Ga that said: "Son of a G. R. I. T" on it which he wore on Sundays. Wish I had a bumper sticker like it. The last bumper sticker I had was back in 1986. It said: "You couldn't afford me!" I even had an older couple in a Merceds stop beside me to, roll down the passenger window so the wife could tell me they liked it. Ah, Memories...

Then I thought of combining the two I saw which would make it "Annointed with Grits". Well, I found it amusing....

What is your favorite saying or bumper sticker?

Yesterday Don took Rhett to the dr, but my folks had to pick him up because Don had an job interview. Rhett either has some sort of viral infection or it is his allergies. The dr was more concerned over his fever blisters. They gave him zyrtec this time as well as some cream for the fever blisters. I still have to suppliment with Dimetapp. He got too hot in the night and had a coughing spell so I was up at 1:30 giving him another dose of Dimetapp. His lip looked really bad this morning, like it had bled and dried on his lip. I'd finally convinced him to let me use Blistex on it before he went to the dr. I used some of that this morning before he left for school.

The good news is Don FINALLY got a job! He will be working at Cherokee Fabrications on the way to Opelika. He will have longer hours so that will be an adjustment for a man of his own hunting leisures.

I got a card from my friend Bonnie yesterday. Maybe we should begin a writing relationship...

My supervisor fell at work today as she was bad mouthing the counselors entering the lobby. It was caught on video, but you can't actually see all of the fall. The Deputy Warden played it back for us. You know that she is falling int the bottom of the frame and her umbrella goes sliding across the floor. We all burst out laughing. The Dep. Warden kept telling us how bad we were when he was laughing the loudest. I say we turn it in to "America's Funniest Videos", split the $10,000 winnings (if we win) with her and let the prison get the rest. It was by far the best laugh we've had in awhile.

Quotes of the day:
Write a personal note and the date in every book you give. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. ~Helen Keller~

That vastness is not empty, it is a presence. -Kent Nerburn-

a bit late but... New Year's Resolution:
"Do not repeat the mistakes of the past... make new ones. ~Diane Gallo~

Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. Who would think those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it. -John Goethe-

Ask friends who they'd choose to play them if a movie were made of their life. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-
(I'd like to play Sally Field's life. My friend Penny thinks I look like her.)

As the tree is in the seed, so is Paradise within. ~Diane Gallo~

Start a collection of something a bit weird. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-
(I collect rubber stamps, skeleton keys, scrapbooking supplies. Rhett wanted to start a straw collection which is different. What do you collect?

Happiness is in short supply. Give some away anytime, anywhere you can. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-

Print your favorite quotation on the back of your business cards. -H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-
(Do ya think he has one of his own quotes on the back of his business card?)

I hope I am remembered for my sense of humor. ~Becky Bristow Voyles~

Okay I have FINALLY caught up with last year's quotes from my motivational calendars. I can now advance into the new year...

2 comments:

Susannah Conway said...

Congrats to Don on his new job - that's fabulous news :-)... for the record, i collect vintage photographs, retro coffee pots and books (though they don't count as it's like buying food: essential LOL)

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks for the congrats to my hubby. I can't wait to tell him that it came all the way from England!