Thursday, November 4, 2010

Rest, Change, Hymn Hum & Concern

As I stated in a previous post, our weekend was about REST. I guess I needed it more than I knew. The verse "Come unto me ye who are weary laden" comes to mind. It was also about change. Change as in how we spent Halloween. Change in the fact that our son is growing up on us. But at least the family tradition of taking Halloween pictures at Elisa's has not changed. I realized I get kind of bossy when taking pictures. Funny that we can take charge of the things we really like to do in life. Where photography and art are concerned, I do not stand on the sidelines. I am in the game. I am in my element. I have had two photo ops this week. The 2nd one today made me feel like a professional photographer. Perhaps I have missed another calling.

Life is about change. My father was forced to retire this week due to his age and feebleness at age 85. He was very upset about it. Although I know it is for the best, I know it must be hard on him as a man. I just hope it doesn't put him into a downward spiral.

Then today I thought about the Serenity prayer...

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr


I had several quotes of the day I sent out yesterday which was my BFF Genie's birthday. Ironically this was one of them...
Be the one who remembers to bring a camera.
-H. Jackson Brown, Jr.-
(I usually am the one!)

In yesterday's email, I added another lunch experience I am famous for. It is Not a quote but...
I went to a Chinese place for lunch yesterday because I wanted hot tea on that coolish day. The waitresses misunderstood me when I shook my head that it was just me. They thought I was waiting for someone. After waiting what I thought was too long, I finally had to tell them I was ready to place my order. They made a big production about my being alone! I haven't felt that uncomfortable in awhile. The owner is very religious and plays instrumental religious music. One hymn came on and I couldn't recall it. Of course it stuck in my head. I had to look it up on the internet when I got back to work. What would we do without the internet? My 1st search was unfruitful. I finally had to type in some of the words of the hymn. I typed in the most uncommon words in hopes of finding the title. I typed in "...I raise my Ebenezer..." and got the title "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing." You are singing this now, aren't you? LOL If not, you are probably going to google it! If I had not found it, I would have emailed you K & Larry

If you do google something like this as I did, you will find several versions of the song and once you click on one, it will play several for awhile. I so enjoyed listening to everyone yesterday especially the ones that had a Irish sound to them.

Later I thought about the fact that I may have already sent an email out about this song because I seem to remember K and I talking about how beautiful it was; how one lady had the voice of an angel and could sing certain notes that K could once sing but cannot anymore. Then she went to a Church of Christ site and found more without instruments. This made me feel like I have Alzheimer's. LOL But perhaps it was another song. Anywhoo it led me to an instrumental of "A Time for Us", the theme song from "Romeo and Juliet" which I had not heard in ages and ages. It was like an old friend. It is wonderful that music can feel this way. Has a hymn touched you today? If so, which one?

Well, I am a little concerned about Daddy. When I picked Rhett up yesterday, Mom told me to go speak to him. I would have anyway, but knew something was up when she said that. Daddy told me about them letting him go at work as a part time bailiff the day before due to his age and feebleness. We knew it was coming and he is 85! He wasn't the only one they let go so it wasn't just him. He knew he'd fallen while at work. He admitted he staggers but refuses to use a cane and thinks someone saw him and told on him. He agrees it may be for the best as he didn't always feel like working somedays. As he was telling me this, I thought his speech was different. I got closer trying to watch his mouth. It seemed like the side the cancer was on wasn't working above his lip. Not where the cancer was. It just wasn't normal to me. He just sounded different. I think I know my Daddy pretty well to know he didn't sound like himself or when something is wrong. One word came out funny. I don't know how to describe it exactly esp in an email. I might could mimic it. It was almost like he was slurred. Of course he is more concerned about the money he will miss.

I asked mom if he'd been talking funny and she said she thought he was. She also said he took a flu shot. He was told he HAD to take one because if he didn't, if he got the flu, he might die. Mom said she would watch him carefully of course and let me know. I thought he might have been so upset about the loss of his job that he may have had a facial stroke. I haven't heard from mom this morning so I am thinking no news is good news. I will call her later. I was hoping they might be sleeping in. I talked to her and they are okay. She thinks he sounds better and he was just upset. I have had some wonderful emails from friends about this so they have been a blessing unto me, especially Annica's, Anne's, Cheryl's and Genie's sweet words. I am so thankful for my many wonderful friends. I am so thankful I still have my loving parents. I am thankful I had a few good hair days this week. LOL Sure I may fuss that a light switch isn't working. I fuss, get it out of my system and go on with life. Some days nothing seems to work right, but today has been a pretty good day thus far despite the light switch.

My mom has a full plate dealing with Daddy and her sister who is driving her crazy! I wish we all could go away to a nice quiet cabin just to get away from everything, but alas it will turn pretty cold this weekend and they would be better off at their nice warm home. But just thinking of it, was a nice release for me muchlike thinking of a walk along the beach. Ah, sigh.

Quote of the Day:
Pick up your brushes and paint today.
-Peter R. Stone-

I have an art meeting tonight. I am going to volunteer my services to create flyers. Granddaughter's birthday coming up this weekend. Art show next weekend. I am thankful for it all. What are you thankful for this week. Please share with us Thankful Thursday at the following...
http://womentakingastand.blogspot.com/ where Laurie has a really good post about gratitude.

2 comments:

Mel_Cole said...

Glad to read your grateful post about what had happened to your week. You are generous of your being kind even though the waitress misunderstood you. Nice to hear you love art. I love arts too.

My Thankful Thursday post here

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks for stopping by Mel. I have checked your blog out. Love it.