Thursday, March 25, 2010

I Knew Better

Let's just say it hasn't been the best of a week for me. Last week I had a sore throat. I knew I had gotten sick around the 1st of April last year when we went to the Eufaula Pilgrimage/Art Show and had a touch of bronchitus. I knew I couldn't let it happen again. My throat got better. I had to deal with meetings about my aunt's estate which always gives me a headache. Don & I went out to eat afterwards at Chili's. I saw one of my friend Penny's friends and talked to her, gave her Penny's address and phone number.

On Friday, I had to take the initiative and straighten out the problems with the new estate bank account, change it from a commericial account to a regular checking account so there would be no more fees charged and the bank would not be calling me at work scarring me half to death thinking there is something wrong with MY accounts!

Saturday we had a fellowship meal of finger foods and hot dogs at the church. To my dismay it was being held OUTSIDE! It had warmed up, but I knew better. If I had known it was to be held outdoors, I would have stayed home. We did meet a new young girl, Tara, who became a member the next day. As the sun went down, I got my coat but was still cold and felt it between my shoulders. Guess that means I am becoming an old lady. There was a fire going to roast marshmellows. I knew better. I knew the smoke would do me in.

I was right. I had a scratchy throat the next morning. It wasn't until Monday night into the wee hours of the morning, my throat starting killing me to the point I could have cried. I got up and took two Alleve, my miracle cure. My throat stopped hurting, but I knew I needed to go to the dr and nip this in the bud before it turned into a repeat of last year. I called in sick and could barely talk. My appointment was not til late afternoon. I was sleeping so good until the phone rang, waking me. It was a telemarketer of course! I did sleep some more.

The physician's assistant made me feel better. She gets right in your face. Because I was there last year presenting the same symptoms, she said we needed to be aggressive with my treatments. A z-pack, back on my inhalers until pollen season is over, taking an antihistamine daily but I will live and I am thankful. I also saw my friend David's sister Kelli who works there now. It was good to see her.

The inhalers make me nervous as "a once armed fan dancer" as my momma would say. My handwriting does not look like my own but someone else. I do feel better and I am thankful. I am not as nervous as I was yesterday, but I am having a pain in my back.

I commiserated with my friend Darryl who also suffered from asthma as a child as I did. He brought to light something I never thought of and proabably took for granted. The fact that I had this illness made me more aware; pay closer attention to the world around me thus making me the artist, photographer that I am. I know it colored my world and still does to this day.

I know better. I know what I can and cannot do. I cannot be around fires or have a real Christmas tree. I cannot wear perfume nor will I allow my husband to wear cologne. I cannot stand to be around people who pour on the whole bottle of perfume! My nose is like a bloodhound. I know it is infected right now but it will get better.

I am thankful for the good class we had last nite in Rhett's class. I pre-drew a coat. After reading about Joseph, I let them decorate their coats with my scraps cut out of magazines so they made a coat of many colors. They really seemed to liek this activity. It was one I had been longing to do. I haven't made my own yet but I will.

If you would like to participate in Thankful Thursday, please go to the following...


Paulie said...

I am glad you are getting better. I suffer from allergies too but don't have to use an inhaler.

becky aka theRAV said...

Thanks Paulie. Be glad you don't have to use an inhaler.

Denise said...

Praying for you dear, love you.

becky aka theRAV said...

Thank you, sweet Denise. Love you too!