Friday, December 19, 2008

A Random Act of Kindness

This is the time of year when I have to fix a new time roster book at work for the new fiscal year. I have to use index tabs so the pages do not tear up my hands. Index tabs come in four colors... red, blue, yellow, clear and green, but those are not enough colors for artistic me so I use pastel colored highlighters to add more colors. Mine name of course has to be done in hot pink. I used a memo pad as a blotter for when I am coloring the tabs a different hues and it runs off the tab. Some of the pastels blend to form their own shades on the page. When I was doing this on Wednesday, a Sgt noticed it on my desk and said it was pretty; very artistic. I jokingly said something about it being worth a lot of money one day. That one compliment made my day as well as much needed laughter from friends. So near the end of work day, I added a few swirly red flowers to it, addressed it to the Sgt with the day's date, wrote "Merry Christmas" on the lines for a message and signed it. I placed it in a small greeting card sized envelope, took it back to the Sgt's office and put it in the 1st shift's metal holder for him to find the next day.

When I saw the Sgt again on Thursday, before I could ask him if he found something, he told me thank you for that artwork. Then he said it was the first Christmas card he'd gotten (at work?) which made me feel good. Yet I almost wanted to send him a real Christmas card too. So I did a good deed; a random act of kindess.

I had a photo of it, but my memory card said it was full last night so I started deleting what I could bare to part with and that was one of them. It wasn't my best piece of artwork so it really didn't matter that much to me. It was the thought that counted.

Have you done any Random Acts of Kindness lately?

No comments: