Wednesday, December 3, 2008

There's No Place Like Home



As Dorothy would say, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home." It is so very true for me as I discovered this past holiday.

In case you haven't noticed I have been MIA in words, in deeds, in photos and blog. We went with our oldest daughter and her two girls to Indiana to my in-law's for Thanksgiving. We had a great time and ate way too much good food. It was great to see everyone again. I got some once in a lifetime photos I wouldn't trade for all the crab legs in the sea. I even braved Black Friday's crowd to shop so Elisa wouldn't have to go by herself and survived without incident. I got a few things that I'd depleted the shelves of here as well as got a few gifts without spending an arm and a leg. I even got some artwork in as well.

While Rhett was with his best bud and step-nephew Austin, who is only months older than him, I did the journal thing with my granddaughter Tatum. It turned out really well. I think Rhett was a bit jealous though because I have only done this with him. Later I told him Tatum wants him to show her how he does his grafitti which made him feel better. I worked on another "floatsom" piece which is unfinished.

Saturday was the best day of the entire trip to me. We went with our oldest son and his family to a nearby Christmas tree farm to get their tree. Santa just happened to be there along with two of his reindeer. I got pics of all of our grandkids on a sleigh. One of the reindeers still had his fur and he was a bit on the rowdy side. I had trouble taking his photo through a wooden fence. He kept wanting to stick his antlered head through to get food yet he refused the reindeer balls offered him. Still the photo is priceless to me. It is not everyday you get a photo of a real reindeer.

Then my daughter-in-law's family was coming to her house for Thanksgiving dinner. I cut things out of the local paper before they arrived. The food was oh so good and I ate way too much to the point of almost being miserable. I really enjoyed spending time with Kristina's family and laughing. I think I had more fun than Don. As we were leaving, Kristina's mom hugged me which really made me feel good.

Going with our daughter, we left early without going to church. In a Kentucky rest stop, I picked up every pamplet they had on Abe Lincoln for Rhett's poster. We got home early especially for us. It felt so good to walk into the silence of our house. It was good to be home; to sleep in our own bed. There is no place like home.

On my drive to work on Monday morning, I noticed the trees are still colorful here compared to Indiana and I was thankful for the colors. Thankful we live here. Thankful to be back home again. There's no place like home.

Things are pretty much back to normal - whatever normal means. Double Christmas parties on the same nights to attend starting this weekend. Social butterflies that we are.

I really had trouble doing this post. Lost my internet connection. Uploaded then lost what I'd typed. Yeah, normal stuff. Still there is no place like home.

2 comments:

PERBS said...

Glad you enjoyed your trip and got lots of photos.

My camera is in the repair shop seeing if it can be repaired. The lenses wouldn't go out when I pressed the on button. I am praying that can fix it and not cost an arm and a leg.

becky aka theRAV said...

Hi Paullie! I am glad I enjoyed my trip also & got lots of photos. Sorry to hear about your camera. I glanced thru your blog & saw that but haven't had time to comment yet. Hope it doesn't cost you an arm & a leg either. I'd be lost without mine as I am sure you are too.