Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Missing?

No, my photo is not on a milk carton. I am not Missing. I have just been MIB (Missing in Blogging)LOL . My Daddy got worse. He got really sick prior to Christmas. He was out of his head, telling me to call certain people. He really scared me to death when he said the word "pall bearers". We almost lost him. He had a uninary tract infection which explained him talking out of his head. He was not eating; very weak. His potassium was low as were other things. He was placed in ICU for several days. I got berated that we did not stay at the hospital that 1st night, but my mom was exhausted. I KNEW I wasn't going to lose my Daddy. Still we were very worried and concerned.

I made the decision to put in feeding tube since he would not eat. I caught flack from some folks about that. I don't regret doing what I thought was the right thing to do. What was I supposed to do? Let him die? I couldn't let my Daddy starve to death.

We had to learn how to feed him thru the tube. It was easy for me, but the hospitals do not spend a lot of time teaching and my mom had a hard time with it so he had to go to Hospice where they had more time for her learning. Everyone told us we would love Hospice; that it is wonderful; that it was FREE. WRONG. Hospice is not always free. Sure they provide some things and we are indeed very, very grateful for those things, but they do not pay for all of his medicine only what pertains to the condition he is in now. His failure to thrive. They do not pay for wipes, but thankfully they provide other things we need. One thing we do need to find is sheets for the hospital bed mattress.

Then I had a husband who was bound and determined to go to Indy with or without me at Christmas with my Daddy in the condition he was in! He did wait til after Christmas to go though. But Christmas was just not the same this year. It did not matter what we ate, where we were. We still had Daddy with us. That was all that mattered.

All my friends cannot believe I haven't had a nervous breakdown by now with all I have been through. I come from a line of strong women. I am a "Steel Magnolia" as my friend Bob put it. I turned another year older and felt it on many days. There were some days where I thought I would lose it, but thankfully I got through those days without going there.

I am now President of the PC Arts Council. I am still creating my art which keeps me sane. I am thankful for my art outlet. I take an occasional photo now and then. We have good days and bad but, we keep on. We are still thankful to have Daddy with us.

I have missed going to many of your blogs as I have missed out on a lot of things lately. I haven't had time to upload pics like I used to although Paulie will probably say I never did upload any here! LOL At least I haven't lost my sense of humor. It too keeps me sane. I love to laugh. I need to laugh.

I am ever thankful for my mom who keeps on going because she has to. It is just the two of us as caregivers with occassional help from some cousins. I am thankful for my friends who have been there for me on this bumpy road we are on right now. I am thankful our preacher Larry is back with us. I pray for a more understanding husband. Please keep my Daddy in your prayers. We have seen improvement in him. We have been told we are doing a good job with him. I guess we missed our calling to be nurses, but I will remain an artist instead.

I see the need to help the elderly, but I am just too tied up right now. I have enough on my plate and tend to spread myself far too thin as it is. I tried something new that had to do with art for Alzheimer's in the early stages, but each time I went, I felt like I was taking away time I might need later for when my Daddy gets worse again. We need more advocates for the elderly. I pray for a more artistic job in my future. My friends are praying for this also.

I visited Leah's blog today at Create Every Day. I am to help teach an art class this Saturday. I was looking for an idea and her blog provided me with one. Found objects. I can hardly wait. Thanks again Leah for having such a wonderful artisitc blog I could go to for inspiration. I hope mine will be like your's someday...

I hope to visit you soon as I can. Until then, count your blessings. Keep the faith, Keep on creating, Keep on laughing and Keeping on. I'll try to be here more, but I cannot make any promises I can't keep right now. One day at a time.

What have you been missing out on?

No longer missing.

love, Becky

PS. I decided to let this also be my Thankful Thursday post as it lists the things I am stil grateful for. If you would like to joing us, please go to the following....
http://womentakingastand.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Denise said...

Welcome back sweet friend, you have really been missed. So very sorry about your dear dad, praising God that he is still with you. He is blessed to have you for a daughter, the way you watch over him. Praying for you, your dad, and your mom. I love you.

Unknown said...

Oh Becky, I always love to read about your life, your honest struggles your heart. Love you so much. Im so sorry about your daddy. Hugging you with my prayers. Love, Lynn

Ms. Kathleen said...

Becky, I went through so much of this with my dad although he had pancreatic cancer. Hospice was awesome but like you mentioned, not always free and his meds sure weren't free.

Keeping you and your dad in prayer. Have a great tomorrow :)

becky aka theRAV said...

What a blessing to come here to day and read your kind comments which brought tears to my eyes. So great to "hear" from you sweet Denise. It was like seeing old friends here. Thank you Denise for your praises and prayers. Love you too.

becky aka theRAV said...

Lynn, I love that you love to read about my life! LOL Thank you for stopping by & commenting. Thanks also for your words, prayers and love. Love ya, Girl!