Thursday, July 7, 2011

Our 4th of July Weekend "I've Learned That..."

Sunday was my mom's birthday. I was getting her fave from Red Lobster for lunch. The night before Daddy told me he wanted fried trout. I am thinking this is wonderful. Maybe he would eat. Wrong! He only ate a bite of everything then had to be put back to bed. Shortly after we ate, he wanted me to call the ER dr but I knew I wouldn't be able to get hold of him. He had me call his heart dr who really disappointed me and she is supposed to be the best in town. So we took him back to the ER once again. We were earlier than last Sunday. The poor thing was so uncomfortable in the wheelchair. You would think hospitals would have more compassion for the elderly but it was a holiday weekend and if you were bleeding, you were seen first. We had a 4 hour wait before going back to a room. Mom stayed at home because she was so tired and I am the one who goes back with him as I am the only one who can hear.

This time Daddy's lung had collapsed! They admitted him to a semi-private room after 1 am, but couldn't do anything because he was on Plavix. Don slept in the car because it was so cold inside the hospital. We didn't get home til 2 am. Because he was in a semi-private room, mom couldn't stay with him. She stayed out in the lobby and went in to check on him. I don't think Daddy slept because of this.

That Monday morning of the 4th of July, when I was awaking, I felt a strong hand on my right shoulder. It wasn't my husband. It wasn't my son. I know who it was.

The dr that drained the fluid off of Daddy's lungs said the lung may have collapsed earlier but the fluid had it inflated. Once the fluid was gone, it collapsed. Normally they would wait 10 days before inflating but they couldn't wait so they did a procedure in the room on Monday, July 4th. What a way to spend a holiday! But that was better than the other alternative for which we are thankful.

The next day, the needle came out of his chest and the lung deflated again! The procedure had to be redone. Rhett was calling me to tell me and I could hear Daddy hollering in the background. I had to go up there to check on him. This procedure doesn't take long so it was over with by the time I got up there. He was eating better and we were thankful.

I did a few things for myself on Tuesday.... Did you know they turned the old Chapman's into a thrift mall? As soon as I walked in, I thought I heard a parrot telling me "HELLO!" I looked all around for a parrot, but it was the lady at the counter who sounded like one! LOL Saw some neat stuff. Wanted to take pics, but there are signs everywhere that say you are on camera. There was a good bit of art on canvases. Even the larger ones were priced around $25.00. I saw a lot of stuff like my mom collects. There were some old round frames that had old photos in them that were interesting. The ladies in the sepia photos were pretty & one had on a kooky hat.

I found a book by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. entitled Live and Learn and Pass it On, Volume III. I normally buy his calendars "Life's Little Instruction Calendars", but didn't buy this year's. You have seen his quotes in my emails or on my blog so you probably recognize the name. This book is composed of other people's responses to these words... "I've learned that..." It doesn't reveal names but ages only. "People from ages 7-92 share what they've discovered about life, love and other good stuff."(written on the book cover.) The cover has a bunch of pocket watches & old keys in the background. I am more than halfway thru it. I was reading some of them to Rhett last night that applied to us. Some he found funny like one that said & I am paraphrasing here... "I've learned to laugh at my Daddy's jokes even if they are not funny." This book was only a $1, but well worth every penny to me. I love finding stuff like this. I also got a friend a pot holder for Christmas for 50 cents so I did good. I was thankful for my small inexpensive finds.

This book reminded me of the fact that a writer approached me on my blog wanting to use some of my writing in one of his books a shade similar to this only Brown's books are much better in my opinion. Because I have dreams of being a writer, I thanked him and told him I would write my own book. Because I admire this H. Jackson Brown, Jr. so much, I wouldn't have a problem if he used some of my thoughts for a book like this even if I got no credit for it. If I did this, I wouldn't even lie about my age! LOL

It got me to thinking of my own "I've learned that's". The first one that came to mind was "I've learned that if you have naturally curly hair and you just washed it, it is surely going to rain and mine will frizz or 'frizzle like a chicken' as my Momma would say!"

What are some of your "I've learned that..."?

Some of my friends have replied with their "I've learned that's" and I have so enjoyed reading them.

There has been a hawk outside Daddy's window at the hospital! Not sure if this is a good omen. I got pics! Even got him in flight. It is blurry but I don't care! Took a dozen more yesterday & Rhett was taking some with his camera phone. Mrs. Triplett, Katherine's mom brought in 3 beautiful yellow roses from 1st Baptist Church for Daddy. Took close-up pics of those roses. The card was really neat. It said something like these flowers where in the church. They heard prayers, they were there for the sermon and they hope they will make you feel better. Not only do these things help Daddy, they help us too. Such a neat idea.

Also I bought some of the new crackle nail polish. I bought the Sally Hansen version as it was cheaper. I bought black to put on top of another color. I haven't been as artistic with Daddy in the hospital except for a few doodles here & there, coloring a little in the journal Genie gave me or adding to an existing idea or piece of artwork in that journal. I have discovered I have drawn an image more than once. So last night when I finally sat down, I tried white, an almost buff color and red as the background for my nails. The red did not work. Once the black was brushed on & separated to form the crackle, it looked like a burnt hot dog weenie! I covered it up with white as I was too tired to go get remover. There was still some red around the edges which made it look like my finger was bleeding. LOL Haven't taken a pic yet but I like them. Once again it is the small things that bring me pleasure in my stressful life.

And not only did I get the book by H. Jackson Brown, Jr. yesterday, but at T. J. Maxx in the new mall, I got maybe a 6x6 or larger canvas that you are supposed to paint by following the shading to make a coffee type of art. It came with several tiny tubes of paint & a few other things. It was only $2.99, but I figure I can gesso over it & paint whatever my heart desires esp since I did NOT like the coffee idea! LOL I couldn't beat the price. That size canvas alone would have been more at an art supply store. They had a few more left. Don't all rush over there at once! LOL

I uploaded the hawk pics last night. Don was even impressed with them. One friend is jealous. LOL

I have learned that...
If you make plans, God laughs and says otherwise...
Sadly I am so very, very disappointed that I cannot go on another girl's weekend with my high school friends this weekend. I just do not feel I can leave town especially if Daddy took a turn for the worse; especially since we seem to go to the ER every Sunday. If I went with my Daddy still in the hospital, I would ave a horrible person. My mom wouldn't talk to me. I would never forgive myself if something should happen nor would she. I couldn't live with that or myself. I have always know I am supposed to do the right thing. The right thing is for me to remain home where I belong. Even though my friends say I really need this trip more than anyone except my mom. My friends really want me to still go but I cannot. I will miss my friends, the beach, the sea shells. There will be another time for those things. I will have art this weekend.

Cindy, you have inspired me with the quotes you have been sending lately. Thanks so much! Especially "Happiness is your muse on speed dial." Here are some of mine...

Dreams must be dreamed. It is never too late to live them.
Art. It must be done.
Life. It must be lived.

Your somedays are today and tomorrow.

What have you learned? What are you thankful for? Care to share? Then join us at Lynn's place at the following...
http://www.spirituallyunequalmarriage.com/my_weblog/

2 comments:

Tami said...

May God give your family peace.

becky aka theRAV said...

Thank you so much, Tami! Thanks for stopping by with your kind comment.