Thursday, December 14, 2006

The neatest, most unexpected surprise... the best kind....

I had the neatest, most unexpected surprise when I arrived home yesterday... Awsome Abby had sent me a package. It was just lying there on the table waiting for me come home to open it. When I saw it was from her, I knew exactly what it was... it was one of the alphabet magnets she had made and posted on her blog. Mine was pink "like my (other) blog" as she put it; fushia actually, but I loved it! I put it on the fridge immediately. Thanks so much, Abby!

I'd sent a young mother to Abby's blog because of a shirt Abby had done a scrapbook page for and she recreated the shirt. This young mom's daughter had the same shirt. My friend couldn't believe it was the same shirt. When I told her Abby had sent me something. She asked me if knew her (Abby) as if I'd done something wrong. Even though we have never met, I consider her my friend. Some people are meant to be your friends. Its not to be questioned.

I met a friend named Irene thru the Osmonds. I'd send in a request for pen pals in a "Tiger Beat" magazine. Be careful what you wish for... I got 100's and 100's of letters daily. Irene lived in Tallahasee, Fl. Her grandmother lived in Columbus, GA., not far from my house. We became friends. I loved eating lunch at her grandmother's. Such good southern cooking. Now we only send Christmas cards once a year. I still consider her my friend.

Took Katherine her birthday present from Rhett to church last night which she opened already. She said she loved it . It was a Santa star shaped ornament with her name on it.

My friend Penny and her family was added to the list for prayers last night. Little Chloe Shiver, the 4 yr old who has a rare form of cancer has a gall bladder full of gall stones & the outside has calcified. She has had diarreah for 15 days, lost 2 lbs that she didn't need to loose. Her counts are too low for them to do surgery for it on her. Please keep her in your prayers.

I called one of Penny's friends to tell them about her father's death after church. Lefty was sick. I was doing most of the talking as always but he had a coughing fit that sounded like he had emphysema! I told him I'd let him go so he could stop coughing.

Also called Penny. Got to talk to her for 18 mins. They were taking a group of kids or girls caroling and she sounded excited not sad because her dad was dead. I'm sure she needed the distraction. It reminded me of when one of my grandparents died & my friend Mike E called. Penny was there. We'd all just taken a ginsing tablet & were being silly thinking the ginsing had worked like wine or something. Because we were all in fine spirits, Mike was going to come on over, then I had to tell him we were about to go to the funeral.

The good news is Penny is coming here. The bad news is its because her father died.

I put the magnet backings on some teacher sayings I had cut out for Rhett's teacher and laminated. Awhile back, I'd sent her a note that had 2 pups on it. She had put the word "cute" out beside it. So I knew that was going to be a magnet for her. Its a very inexpensive way to give a gift. One of them can be hung as an ornament. Its wrapped and ready to go with him to school tomorrow. Today they got to change into their pj's to watch "The Polar Express" (which he has seen 3xs now!) & drink cocoa. I forgot his house shoes. I think "house shoes" is a southern term. Do you say house shoes or slippers or what?

The only other thing that has been pressing down upon me is our Christmas plans have changed. No one can drive my husband's folks down from Indiana. Since Don lost his job, he has plenty of time on his hands, whereas I am not at the point of pulling mine and his hair out doing the Christmas stuff. I had a feeling we would be going up there even though it is not our turn. I knew the other girl had asked off for after Christmas. The Black Widow Spider aka Illy Nilly was out "sick" so I went over her and asked her supervisor if I could be off for that one day after Christmas. I never take much time off. I work when I am sick. I even said I would do ALL the money orders that come in for the inmates the next day, even stay late if I could be off. He signed my leave request sheet as soon as I handed it to him. Put it on Illy's desk knowing she would be ticked off when she returned tomorrow.

Illy is back today. When I came in, she'd left a copy of of my leave request, saying she "denied it because I am the back up". She is supposed to know how to do all that we do in the office, but is too good to do it now. I took it into his office & asked him, "Now what?" He told me to, "Just go on go." So I am not worrying about it. I did not say anything to her. She probably thinks I was sulking today because of it. I wasn't. I just have nothing to say to her any more because I know how she is... the type that has to have her way; to have the last word. She was not going to have any power over me to upset me; not going to run my blood pressure up when it is normal now. Enough about that!

Sometimes I just feel like I am the one who makes all the sacrifices.

Abby had a meme on her blog yesterday. What are your 3 simple happinesses today?

Today I am just happy because....of the magnet Abby surprised me with yesterday. Today I am happy because... I finally got back on my new blog. (It doesn't take much for me!) Today I am happy because... I had a comment back from Susannah from Ink On My Fingers!!! I attempted to respond on her blog and to her comments, but didn't have the passwords right. So thanks, Susannah. I loved these lines you wrote... (these will be my quotes of the day:)

"I read poetry so I can roll around in delicious words." and...

"I couldn't live without either novels or poems. As melodramtic as it sounds, I really do believe I would shrivel up and die."

"...the morning after the dark night of the soul..."

What made you happy today?

1 comment:

Susannah Conway said...

bless your heart :-) i am happy today because the sun is shining... it's the little things that count isn't it x